Sunday, 19 February 2017

Kimura Ramen


San Antonio, Texas

I found this really cool ramen place there (exactly what my Asian tummy need) and also the fact that they serve organic meat! Since he's an organic meatarian, he rarely has any chance to eat good ramen with pork/chicken broth. So, we were both really excited and look forward to try the ramen there!


Tonkotsu Ramen with Pork Belly - $14

I'd actually rate it 3 stars only, but I think they strain/sift/filter their broth, making it really smooth so I added half star. The pork belly isn't something really special but still above average of how Texans season the meat yet not reaching every area of the meat. Maybe because Ramen Tatsuya is my benchmark of how I define good ramen, the soft boiled egg is not really marinated well enough and it doesn't look that good. Another half star has been added because they put some fishcake in the ramen.


Tatamen with Chicken - $14

I think that the soup is really more flavorful than a watered-down soy suace bowl of soup, it's just a little too salty. Also, the fact that the fried oil aroma was rushing into my nose when it was served, I added the half star. The bok choy was grilled and it smells really good! I can also tell that had some fried garlic with sesame oil on it.

Gyoza - $7

It is actually pretty pricey for 4 gyozas. I actually didn't pay much attention to it or that I will notice it has the burnt part but the server explained that "he spilt the sauce". I didn't care at first about the burnt, but I don't buy his explanation. It's like other Japanese dumpling but I prefer the Chinese version more. =P


Yakitori - $7

Again, extremely overpriced for 2 chicken skewers. I understand that they are humanely sourced meat, but the flavor is only on the outside. I wish that the chicken were well marinated thoroughly because honestly I love the flavor. It's also something my mom knows how to make. The carrot were cut thinly and the sauce from the yakitori drips down to it. It taste really good because of how it was cut and the suace added some flavor on it. I know it's a garnish but I really appreciate food. 




My boyfriend and I will probably go back because he loves ramen and this is the first ramen place we found that serve humanely sourced meat. 

Here's a picture of one downtown San Antonio while we were finding a parking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment